Wednesday, April 1, 2009

How to make "The Best Steak Tartare in Paris", even if you are not (in Paris)!

Since Rick Stein's Steak Tartare video has been removed due to a terms of use violation (from a previous blog post), I made my own video. The production value is not as good as Rick's, but the steak tartare turned out great!



Ingredients (Serves 2):
250g Fresh Cut Filet Mignon, Rindslungenbraten, Sirloin, etc.
3-4 Cornichons (small French pickles/gherkin)
2 Shallots
2-3 Teaspoons Capers
2 Tablespoons French Dijon (must be real Dijon not "Best Foods", etc.)
1 Egg yolk separated
Salt/Pepper to taste
Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
***Some bistros use Parsley as well, I personally feel it overpowers some other flavours. If you must use some, use sparingly, adding until you can barely taste it.

For preparation simply dice everything and mix it in a bowl.

PS. I shot it unscripted so at first I forgot the shallots (I edited it in later however).

Here are some photos of The Best Steak Tartare in Paris...

From The Best Steak Tartare in Paris


From The Best Steak Tartare in Paris


From The Best Steak Tartare in Paris

9 comments:

Chicago Steak said...

Everything looks awesome. I haven't been to paris for steak yet but this really motivates me

Anonymous said...

I have been in Paris recently and had steak tartare a few times... loved it! Thanks very much for sharing the recipe and demo... now I can try it home!

Absinthe said...

A nice Facebook group about Tartare in Paris...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=139101592783382&ref=ts

Michael said...

Thanks for the recipe! Perhaps I didn't follow it close enough (we changed the amounts for 3 people), because the pickle flavor overpowered the beef. Next time I think I will try a different recipe that just uses salt, pepper, and lemon zest/juice, but after that I may return to this recipe (albeit modified to use less pickles).

Cheers

Anonymous said...

those frites look nice. whats the recipe for those?

Mutuelle sante said...

Thanks a ton it has been a very good support, now to make "the best steak tartare in paris", even if you are not (in paris)! is without a doubt simple and easy by using your tips. Thanks

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot for the recipe and video.. the steak tartare came out delicious and i served it along with slices of toasted baguette and french fries. also, i used a good cut of sirloin instead of filet mignon just because i heard filet mignon tends to be a little more mushy in texture... came out delicious. one word of warning though.. be careful on how many gherkins you use. i erred on the side of less and it came out with more than enough of the pickle flavor so just be sure to eye ball it (as gherkins often come in different sizes).

thanks again!
Matt

Fuchi said...

I got some fresh whole tenderloin from Costco, and followed your recipe on youtube, it turned out to be the best steak tartare I've ever had (even I forgot to put the shallots in).

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm split on how to comment here. On the plus side, it's definitely a pretty good recipe (though it can use a little tweaking to taste, but all recipes can). On the minus side, I just couldn't get past the really really fake french accent you started adding more and more as the video progressed, nor could I ignore your terrible knife skills (but really, the fake french accent killed this entire thing for me, especially because your regular accent is so obviously North American).

Don't be one of those guys who moves to Europe and starts shitting on American cooking just because you "saw the light" once you moved overseas. There are quite a few American chefs who are far better than you (read: all professional chefs who are fine with speaking in their own native accent). Honestly, the best Tartare I ever had was in Nevada (and I've had it in multiple European countries, including France).

Finally, if you're living anywhere in Europe, the Grey Poupon you can buy in stores was produced in France (where the original recipe, which has not changed, was created). American Shit, amirite?